Saturday, December 1, 2007

Yay Thanksgiving! Food, fun, and the doorway to the Christmas season, does it get any better? Let me give you a look into what happens when my mom gets Thanksgiving going.


First, we had to choose a wine. My dad and I had a bit of a disagreement. He thought white, I said red. While I agree that white wine often goes well with poultry, Thanksgiving is about hearty food and overeating. That sounds like red wine to me. I convinced him to go with a couple Pinot Noir's. I'll update you on the results.


This is Brie with cranberry, caramel, and pecan topping. This stuff is wonderful: a sweet taste from the cranberries and caramel, the wonderful taste of Brie, and some pecans to make it crunch and nice. Unfortunately, I have promised to not give away the “secret recipe”, but I think you can probably figure it out well. Besides, that's what the internets are for.




We also have stuffed mushrooms and antipasto from the Italian component of the party.










A little Thanksgiving champagne!













My dad still insists on mashing the potato by hand. I only use the standing mixer. Somehow, his are still smoother.






I actually, think this is a pretty clever way of keeping gravy warm.











The final result. We have green beans, sweet potatoes, rutebega, stuffing balls, mashed potatoes, turkey, and creamed onions, and brocolli. Note the Thanksgiving Tequila at the top, as well.



Well, this is getting long and picture heavy. I just thought I'd share some Thanksgiving fun. Hope everyone else had a nice Thanksgiving as well!

4 comments:

Jeshica said...

You know, I'm not sure I've ever eaten a rutabaga. What's it taste like? Do you mash it?

Prof. Andresen said...

The rutabaga is mashed in this case with a little sugar and butter, I think. The closest I can get is that it's almost like a cross between a carrot and a parsnip, but mashed. As bad as that might sound, it's quite tasty. Julie says, "It almost tastes likes it's bitter, but not." That's the best we can do.

Anyone else care to try?

Lisa said...

Great pictures - What's a stuffing ball? Is it stuffing that's been shaped into a ball?

Lars the Frothy said...

pretty much. Our mother makes her stuffing separately from the bird and bakes it in muffin tins, creating individual stuffing portions. it's a pretty neat idea; it makes stuffing easier to serve and to store.

sounded like the usual good food this time. too bad I wasn't there this year.