Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Quickie - Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal

In the days before coming home for Christmas I had some Ida Red apples that were a bit mealy for fresh eating but not too far gone for cooking, and a husband who hates raisins with only raisin bran in the house for cereal. This was my solution. It's pretty basic but it turned out very well so I thought I would share. Now I'm typing it from memory, but I think I have the proportions right.

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
2 tbsp butter
1 apple, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
1 tbsp cinnamon
2-3 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 c water
1/2 tsp salt
1 c old-fashioned oats

Melt butter in skillet while you cut up the apple over medium. Add apple, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir to coat. Continue to stir periodically while you make the oatmeal. Turn it to low if you start to fear burning or mushy apples while you wait for the oatmeal. Meanwhile, bring water, oats and salt (I'm a big fan of salting all oatmeal) to a boil in a saucepan . You can wait to add the oats until after the water reaches a boil for a chewier texture. After you add the oats stir very frequently to prevent sticking, turning down the heat if it threatens to boil over, until the oatmeal it a texture you like. Remove from heat and stir in the apple mixture. Enjoy.
Merry Christmas!

No comments: