Monday, August 13, 2007

California Grilled Chicken Salad

On a recent girls only trip to the beach I had the best grilled chicken salad I have ever tasted. I tried to explain the taste of this wonderful salad to my husband but could not do it justice. So, I decided I would try to make this same salad for the two of us. I think I now have it down to a "T". I hope some of you will enjoy this recipe as much as we do.


You will need:
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts

Italian marinate of your choice ( I used a garlic herb marinate I bought at a grocery store)

Pesto
Lettuce (I use red or green leaf but I am sure any kind would be great)

Salad ingredients of your choice. ( I use cucumbers, red onions, broccoli, cauliflower, fresh tomatoes and carrots)

Fresh mozzarella cheese (sliced)
And a balsamic vinegar dressing of your choice ( I use Neuman's Light Balsamic Vinaigrette)

Marinate the chicken for 3 hours or as long as you would like. ( I personally think the longer the better) I also marinate the portabella mushroom caps in another baggie for the same amount of time.

Grill chicken and the mushroom caps till they are done to your taste. While the chicken is grilling make your salad any way you like. After the chicken is done place the cooked chicken breast on top of your salad, spread pesto on top of the chicken breast followed by the portabella mushroom cap. I spread a little more pesto on top of the mushroom cap and then top it off with slices of mozzarella cheese. The cheese melts on it's own.

Dress the salad with the balsamic vinegar dressing and enjoy!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Prof. Andresen said...

Looks great, Beth. I wouldn't have thought of the pesto and balsamic vinaigrette combination. Also, I like the idea of using the residual heat from the grilling to melt the mozzarella.