Friday, August 10, 2007

You Can't Tell a Virgin Just by Looking





My world is spinning. All this healthy "Extra Virgin Olive Oil" that I've been using is really just lamp oil. I think I'm going to be sick.

Just listen to this:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12571726

And advice here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12638597

Best/Worst line: "Anything under $10 per half-liter" is probably fake. For those of you who use English standard measurement, that's 10 bucks a pint. The stuff I get is $15 a half-gallon. I'm probably getting the stuff they use to lubricate the presses. I love the global economy. Anyone know of any olive farms in upstate NY?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

And then when you shell out the bucks for a good olive oil, you still don't know what it's going to be like in advance unless you do advance research. Wegman's (upstate NY supermarket chain) used to organize their olive oil by taste categories: buttery, fruity, peppery. It turns out I had been buying olive oil for years that was predominantly peppery (or maybe they used some other word - spicy?) and I was wondering why it didn't have more of the buttery/fruity qualities I prefer. Wish I had taken notes at Wegman's so that I would know which brands fell in which major category.

Anonymous said...

First of all most olive oils sold are adulterated & it's not one such tests like refrigeration can detect the true extra virgin oil , those brilliant people out there can add chemicals very carefully through titration where unless it undergoes many test by recognized labs ,it can't be proved a true extra virgin .... so the best is to see the recognized seal on the bottle for the COOC (calofornia olive oil council) or international olive oil council.. they are set by the government to test & give a certification for oil ... so don't buy without that seal , check "cooc" website for the brands of true certified olive oils .. apollo olive oil is a certified brand for the past 4 years. good luck,stay healthy.