Monday, August 27, 2007

State Fair



Admittedly this is the first state fair I have attended, but my impression is that most state fairs are half agriculture show and half carnival. Both of these involve food, so I thought my sojourn to the New York State Fair this Saturday was worth mentioning.

I was volunteering, so I didn't get to roam as much as I might have, but I did make it to the dairy building, which was very impressive if you're looking for edibles. In addition to as much information as one could want on locally produced cheese, there were actually milk fountains (think beer taps flowing a very different substance) and the famous butter sculpture.

Food called out from other parts of the fairgrounds as well from the giant soft serve cone shaped ice cream shops to the smoke coming off some wonderful smelling chicken BBQ in a poultry pavilion. I got some excellent BBQ from a place that advertised an ox roast, an apple dumpling with ice cream that I couldn't finish (not for lack of trying), and a nicely tangy lemon italian ice. The only disappointing thing was a frozen lemonade which I don't think had ever seen a lemon.

There were also some fresh cut french fries which brings me to a bit of a tangent. On the table with the condiments was a spray bottle of vinegar. This is the second place around here I've seen vinegar for fries, and it's a welcome addition in my opinion, and while the spray did give me a nice coating on top of the fries, as soon as I ate past the first layer it was gone. Very disappointing. I remember clearly when I was a second grader my teacher telling us about serving the fries in a paper bag so you could salt and vinegar them, and then SHAKE!

Alright, enough of that. Suffice to say, I came back quite full despite making slime for 90% of the time I was there. Did anyone else make it to the State Fair, here or anywhere else? It's going on next weekend too, you know, and that apple dumpling was really, really good.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Jessica!

I miss the New York State Fair! I kind of regret not trying the deep fried mac & cheese last year when I was still in the area... then again I probably would have also regretted it if I had tried it. A year or two ago, the NYS fair had a pretty cool exhibit on apple varieties and the history of apple consumption in America (mostly in the form of low alcohol hard cider).

Prof. Andresen said...

"Suffice to say, I came back quite full despite making slime for 90% of the time I was there."

Am I the only one wondering what this means? Is this some sort of weird slang pertaining to drug use? I can't keep up with kids these days.

Jeshica said...

Actually Lisa, one of the women I was with tried the deep fried mac & cheese. She said it was surprisingly good. I'm not sure what that means.

And FYI Kurt Polyvinyl Alcohol + Borax = Slime. With food color and sparkles for decoration. Kids loved it. Parents were more mixed - they like keeping their kids busy but were uncertain how that goo was going to react with their furniture.