Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Celery Cream Soup (aka poor knockoff of Sarah's soup)



This was me trying to remake a wonderful soup I had at Sarah's place. It was a delightful concoction with a perfect balance of garlic, onion, celery, and cream.

In trying to remake this dish, I added dill and used more celery than Sarah did. It tasted good, but was a completely different soup. I initially just went with sautéed garlic, but even with 3 cloves, I found it to be weak, so I added one raw clove. Sarah claims the key to a good soup is to cook the onions forever, but I didn't have time. Finally, this probably would be better with cream than with milk, but I wanted this to be relatively healthy (and I never keep cream on hand).

One great thing about this soup is that it is great warm or cold. I don't have Sarah's recipe (or I would have made it), but here is a close idea of what I did.



Ingredients:
3+1 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped
~7 celery stalks, chopped
~3 cups milk (I used 2%)
1 Tbs fresh dill, chopped
Salt to taste
Dill for garnish

I sweated the 3 cloves of garlic, the onion, and about 2/3 of the celery in olive oil until everything was combining nicely (about 15 minutes). Then, sweated veggies, leftover celery, and dill goes into the blender with enough milk to come to the consistency you would like (mine was pretty thick). Finally, salt to taste.

At this point, you can either serve, or chill for a delicious summer soup. I was pretty pleased, and it is still good now a few days later. Plus you feel great about eating it because it's almost all vegetable.

Finally, for full disclosure, Julie garnished and took the picture of the soup, as I made this at night and had poor lighting. But I'll have to admit, she did a wonderful job.

No comments: